Thursday, August 25, 2011

So I got a little heavy...

I catch a glimpse every now an again of this person I remember in the mirror. 
It is a very strange but welcomed experience. 
I would describe it as...you thought you saw someone you knew passing you in a window, and you do a double take and it is YOU! 
I can see my dimples again. 
I am pleased to see me looking back.
I went to work at Walt Disney World and a whole new set of eyes helped to show me the beauty that was a part of me.  It may not have always resided on the outside but it was evident in the long intelligent conversations, and only people who were similar to me could see it.
I noticed that as time passed by while working there I lived as myself for the first time in my 23 years on this earth. 
I spent a lot of time being or acting like something/someone I was not in my younger years. 
I knew it was okay to be exactly who I was. 
I wasn't being judged, or teased for having a gap in my teeth, or ridiculed for being fat, red headed, or artistic. 
I saw the premieres a few movies while I worked at WDW and they really resonated with me
(ans still do). 
The Nightmare Before Christmas & The Lion King. 
I found that both films taught me different lessons. 
Nightmare Before Christmas is about being who you are and that when you aren't you can effect others around you in a significant way. 
Lion King encouraged me to remember who you are.
When I was in Orlando, I was myself and I know that my life and the lives of other was enriched by that. 
I was able to just be. 
I walked and lived inside myself for the entire time I was at WDW . 
I had the highest of highs and some of the lowest of lows. 
I know that I am the person I am today because of that amazing experience.
I learned what made me beautiful. 
I found out that it had very little to do with what the outside of me looked like.
I guess that getting thinner allowed me to put aside all of my insecurities long enough to explore who
I really was/am.
I am blessed to still be alive.
I am going to work daily to be grateful for all of the steps I have taken along my life journey.
I think it is wise to look back in order to look forward!
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment